Friday, February 18, 2011

Lizards - A True Sign of Progress

In general I do not feel comfortable with animals other than homosapiens or fish sharing the same space with me. I really despise rodents of any kind and after living in the wrong place in Washington, DC for a year, I am absolutely traumatized by the sight of mice and rats.

When I lived in Belize City, the first place I landed outside of the U.S., I was scared of the Geckos that stayed in my house on the wall near the ceiling. Although the Belizeans said it was good luck to have them in the house, I never felt lucky at all.


Fast forward 10+ years and I am actually comfortable with the lizards and geckos living in our house. I'm very proud of myself for this "progress" because eventually I may come face to face with a greater variety of wildlife. Although I want to pat myself on the back, I'm not so sure I deserve it because my comfort level with the lizards and geckos is likely due to the fact that I'm SO RELIEVED and HAPPY that we don't contend with mice and rats. There are enough of them in this city and some have even shown up at the big boss' home, but they don't live HERE - thank Goodness.


My sister is here visiting though and although she's hung out in Senegal and Haiti, she didn't take it so well when one of the lizards planted itself in her room. I took several pictures of it on her suitcase, on the wall, and on the floor. My niece, sis and children Z. Mulenga and K. Amiri were quite scared but I just kept clicking away in my brand new bravery!

No comments:

Post a Comment