Monday, January 10, 2011

PLEASE Don't Drink the Bath Water!

The last two times I've given my 2 and 3 yr. olds a bubble bath, I've had to cut their bath funtime short because one or both of them could not stop sipping on the bath water. Although I'd tell them not to drink the water in the U.S. too, drinking bath water in the DR brings a whole new level of risk to their health and my sanity and our family's peace. The water is not treated in the DR and there are tons of parasites just waiting to find hosts like the little bodies of my dear Z. Mulenga and K. Amiri. On top of the usual risk just by virtue of being in the DR, our neighbor is in the midst of a cholera crisis that has affected a small portion of our population here. Bathtime was a great break time for me because they have so much fun playing and I can watch them from their bedroom while I read a book, but now it's turned into a not-so-fun time because I have to be the water policeman and hover to keep them from getting seriously ill by drinking it from the soap dish or acting like fish. We recently put bleach in the cistern to help mitigate the risk of cholera but it's still a gamble to drink the water.

Living in the developing world makes reaching my goal of not sweating the small stuff with the kids in order to keep the peace a little more challenging since there are serious potential consequences for stuff like sucking your thumb after playing at the neighborhood playground, stepping in standing water after it rains, and of course drinking the bath water.

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog recently and I am really enjoying it!

    It is time for the Weekly State Department Blog Round Up and you are on it!

    It is found here:
    http://smallbitsfs.blogspot.com/2011/01/part-1-new-stuff-and-100-or-so-blog.html

    If you would like the links to your site removed (or corrections are needed) please contact me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hard! I taught my little ones about the shower earlier than I thought I would. We were in Cairo, much less problems with the water, but there are some risks not worth taking. Teaching my cat-summoning toddler to not magically attract feral cats (do not pet the icky kitties) was harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Becky!
    Connie - I don't know WHAT I'd do about the feral cats.

    ReplyDelete